Sunday 2 December 2012

A trip to Heaven



    The sun has been kind to us. Kissing our cheeks from dawn till dusk. The sky is never grey, blessed with blue. Scenes like a painting, views like a dream. If there were a catastrophic change in the weather, the rain would be gold.

      Set on our blue checkered tablecloth on the patio table (in an adorable manner), is breakfast.  Two plates. One buttered bagel and a glass of a Mimosa; a bowl of Greek yogurt to share. Amazing beginning to a day. The plan for the day was to go for a hike to Zagoria, or maybe Central Peloponnese, so many breathtaking choices. But we were much too comfortable, now sunbathing in netted woven hammocks. Pure bliss.

      “This is naturally peaceful, for once. We work incredibly hard back home and acquire nothing. It is heartbreaking. I never want to return to our hopeless reality,” Lily puts down her drink and picks up a local magazine.                                                                                                                                                                 “I agree,” pouring myself another fresh Mimosa, “going back to my desk job for 8.95$ an hour…is like, definitely not ideal,” I sink back into my hammock letting out a huge breath.                                                                          One of the hotel workers knocked on the side of our door, “hello ladies, my apologies for interrupting, but your 4 o’clock herbal massage has been changed to 1 pm is that alright?” We both smile cheerfully, “Yes!” screeching in unison.

    My life back at home was simple, not good nor bad. But I cannot complain for I am in a trance at this very moment.

      Golden girls we became over the day, beautifully bronzed. Showered with gifts from the local men who fancied us; treating us like royalty. Nothing could upset our fantasy now; we were on top of the world! Well, close enough.
     
      “Hey, Ally… your Mother is on the phone…” Those were the words I did not want to hear right now.                                                                        “Hello? Mom!? What is going on…I told you never to call this number,” I frantically pace back and forth.                                                                         “Alaska Brielle! You listen to me right now young lady!”                            “MOM! I am not a young lady… I’m fifteen! Ugh,” I sighed heavily into a growl. I honestly despise the sound of that woman's voice.                                                  “Listen here miss, we have hired people to search for you ALL over Omaha. This little prank you pulled, is unacceptable! You two better get your butts home this instant…or you will never leave your rooms let alone this country again.” My heart began to pound… All we wanted was a getaway. You know, like in the movies. Steal your parent’s credit cards, book flights to Greece, shop like queens and stay in five star hotels. It totally happens all the time.

     I wish I could be writing this joyful postcard to my parents. But all I ended up with was a severe detention for skipping school and grounding for two months… but I can say one thing, I will never forget my 6 hours in Greece!  

No comments:

Post a Comment